Complete guide of testosterone and gynecomastia article is all about testosterone and gynecomastia which is concern of every fitness related enthusiast out there . We need to take each of them separately to understand each and every aspect related to complete guide of testosterone and gynecomastia.
What is testosterone?
Testosterone is the male sex hormone which regulates fertility in male, fat distribution in body,muscle mass and production of red blood cells. Testosterone production usually starts at the age of puberty and begins to decline at the age of 30. After age of 30 and results in decrease in sex drive which sometimes leading many men to mistakenly believe that their loss in sex is simply due to getting older.
Testosterone is hormone which is produces in both male and female. However it is in very small amount in females. This hormone is responsible for development of male sexual character which includes sperm production, growth of beard and body hair ,deep voice. It also regulates various functions in male body including sex drive , muscle mass and strength,red blood cell production and bone mass etc.
Testosterone is controlled by pituitary gland and it helps to conduct various important body functions through the blood stream.
In women the increase in testosterone level resulting in male pattern baldness,infertility,deep voice and growth of body hairs. Women also may start to show masculine features. However some women which are in bodybuilding profession injects testosterone in their bodies. Its a misconception in fitness industry the women tends to develop muscle like men if they life heavy during their workouts. However its a myth because women have low levels of testosterone which is the male sex hormone and responsible for muscle growth.
Normal Testosterone Levels:-
Testosterone level in men is usually at its peak in the 20’s and then it begins to decline slowly with age. Studies have found that their is 1% decrease in testosterone levels in middle ages men aging between 30’s and 50’s. The normal range of testosterone is about 270 to 1070 ng/dl and for women it is between 08 to 60 ng/dl for adult women. Both higher and lower testosterone level are considered to be out and balance and needs medical attention.
Lower testosterone levels could be the sign of problem in pituitary gland as it sends a signal to testicles to produce testosterone. The lower T-levels could lead to delayed puberty. On the other hand higher testosterone levels could be result of disorders related to adrenal gland or testicle cancer.
Lower testosterone Levels/Hypogonadism and its causes.
lack of testosterone is also referred to as hypogonadism and in modern times lower testosterone levels in adult men and cases related to it have increased fivefold since 2010. There also arises a question that how low is too low? the simple answer to this is not below 300 nano-grams/deciliter(ng/dL) . There could be several reasons of this which include
-Unhealthy Dietary habits
-Accidental reasons(Injury to testicles) or testicular cancer
-Consumption of alcohol and indulging in smoking
-Type 2 Diabetes
However this lowering of testostero0ne levels can have very adverse impact on the life of adult male. Some of the disadvantages of low T-Levels are:-
1.Lower Sex Drive
4. Less Energy
5. Weight Gain
6.Less Body Hair
8. Lack of Self Confidence
High Testosterone Levels:-
Higher testosterone levels is a rare condition which can lead to triggering of puberty before the age of 09 years in men. However in the case of women higher testosterone levels can lead to male pattern baldness ,menstrual irregularities, deep voice , acne ,balding,increased muscle mass,oily skin,facial hair growth, reduction in Brest size and risk of uterine fibroid. Some of the causes of high testosterone in women are:-
Optimal level of testosterone can magically boost up your confidence and sex drive . However for that you have to do some basic lifestyle changes which include:
1. Start weight training and exercising regularly – Studies have shown that weight training especially compound lifts including Squats, Dead-lifts, Bench Press, Military Presses and rows help increase testosterone levels production fast. Also High Intensity interval training (HIIT) also helps in boosting up testosterone levels . So try and incorporate these exercises in your daily workout routines.
2. Improve your nutrition and diet habits:- Include balanced amount of proteins,fats ,carbohydrates ,vegetables and fruits in your diet. These not only ensure good overall development of your body but increase in testosterone levels. Avoid consuming junk food, processed items,sweetened beverages, smoking and alcohol consumption as these adversely impact testosterone production. You must consume good quality fats and also saturated fats which are equally important for production of testosterone. These food include ghee,butter,Cheese, nuts,seeds etc.
3. Minimize stress and cortisol levels:- Over the period it has been found that rising level of stress has been the biggest enemy of men. It has decreased testosterone levels of men . Stress can be due to several reasons which include workload,family problems,financial problems etc. Also try to take at-least 07-10 hours of good sleep each day which reduces the stress level and in turn increases testosterone levels.
4. Try and have Vitamin D and Zinc Supplement naturally or through supplementation. Zinc is essential micro-nutrient in higher production of testosterone levels. Consuming food like Spinach, Pumpkin Seeds, Meat, Cereals,Dark Chocolate,garlic,Mushrooms etc have been found to have positive impact on raising of T-Levels. Also these foods help you improve your overall well being.
5. Add vitamin and mineral supplement and natural testosterone boosters:- Multivitamins are essential for every individual especially fitness enthusiast who sweat for hours in gymnasium and are highly active. Natural test boosters like ashwagandha is also known to reduce cortisol levels . Cortisol levels and testosterone levels are related as a see saw , if one goes up another goes down and vice-verse. Therefore add ashwagandha pill or powder along with warm milk before bed to get maximum results. other popular herbs which are known to raise testosterone levels are ginger extract, shilajit, goat weed etc.
Now lets shed some light on Gynecomastia or Man Boobs to go forward in complete guide to testosterone and gynecomastia
Gynecomastia is a medical condition in which men’s Breast swells and becomes abnormally large. Both men and women have breast glands but it become more noticeable in men as they tend to have small and underdeveloped Breast. It is not a serious problem and it simply doesn’t mean that someone has extra fat on boobs area from being overweight.
Causes of Gynecomastia
It can cause from imbalance between testosterone( male hormone) and estrogen (female hormone) . While estrogen helps in growth of breast tissues, testosterone on the other hand stops breast tissues to grow.
Both men and women have estrogen and testosterone, but one i.e. estrogen is higher in women and others i.e. testosterone is higher in men. Studies have found that the newborn derive high level of estrogen from mother. However over the period of time when testosterone starts to creep up the problem of Gynecomastia gets aside. This problem is also common in men at higher age group as the testosterone begins to decline and the fat begins to accumulate ,this results in higher level of estrogen production.
Therefore we can say that Gynecomastia is somewhat related top testosterone levels in men.
Gynecomastia is not a problem to worry about but can be embarrassing and depressing for men. There are no major symptoms however studies have shown that some men experiences symptoms like itching at nipples and underarms before breast starts to swell up.
6.Consumption of soy food like soy milk and tofu in high quantity
7. Processed food
8. Altered hormonal Environment
9. Disorders of male sex organs(testicles) which can result in low testosterone production can also lead to gynecomastia.
How to treat Gynecomestia
This problem doesn’t need to be medically treated. Simplest way is to wait and it will automatically get aside as the body testosterone level rises . However for the overweight and obese individuals ,they must try to built some muscle and get rid of access fat from the body.Less fat means lesser estrogen production. In addition to losing weight and fat focus on exercise which target chest area to develop chest muscles and improve appearance of chest.
Also medication are more effective in reducing gynecomastia in the early stages however after scars began to appear in breast area , medication are not likely to be effective and if the condition is very severe surgical removal is only possible option.
I would also like to introduce some medications that have been used to treat gynecomastia:-
1.Testosterone replacement therapy. But its found that it is only effective in old age men whose testosterone levels are low. The therapy has little or no impact on a man producing normal levels to testosterone.
3. Danazol is a synthetic derivative of testosterone that decreases estrogen synthesis by the testicles has also been used to treat gynecomastia.
So this was all about testosterone and gynecomastia . Both have an interrelation to an extent but both are curable especially testosterone through proper diet , fitness routine and change in lifestyle . I hope this article complete guide to testosterone and gynecomastia is helpful for those fitness enthusiast who are finding the cure for the same and are depressed and lacking in self confidence.
I am Shweta Singh, Director and CEO of Kirola Sports Private Limited. Former national level player in basketball, taekwondo and high jump. I have also started training in Mixed Martial Arts. Health, fitness and motivation are pillar of success for every individual. My only aim is to make every individual fit and healthy. I will be motivated if my blogs motivates you to take one step closer towards your fitness goals. Kirola team will help you to stay fit and healthy through our blogs . We also aim to motivate you all through motivational stories of lesser known people and about their struggles and achievements. If you need any assistance and guidance related to health and fitness. Contact us.